Tips for Helping A Person with Dementia Stay Active
• Take a walk together each day. Exercise is good for caregivers, too!
• Use exercise videos or check your local TV guide to see if there is a program to help older adults exercise.
• Dance to music.
• Be realistic about how much activity can be done at one time. Several short "mini-workouts" may be best.
• Make sure he or she wears comfortable clothes and shoes that fit well and are made for exercise.
• Make sure he or she drinks water or juice after exercise.
Even if the person has trouble walking, they may be able to:
• Do simple tasks around the home, such as sweeping and dusting.
• Use a stationary bike.
• Use soft rubber exercise balls or balloons for stretching or throwing back and forth.
• Use stretching bands. • Lift weights or household items such as soup cans.